Hi, I’m Virginia St-Denis. I am a publishing professional with 30 years of experience in writing, editing, desktop publishing and managing newspapers, magazines, newsletters, journals and websites.
Having started my career as a journalist, I became a professional storyteller before storytelling was considered an important part of marketing and communications. My skills and hard work earned me a promotion to be the editor of a community newspaper. I became the editor of a hobby magazine and then an academic research journal.
While working in corporate communications settings, I edited annual reports, newsletters, reports and various business documents. I was the managing editor for three medical research journals before going back to a magazine.
I help not-for-profit organizations gather and package information into useful and engaging content. I provide writing, editing and social media services to keep target audiences coming back for more. My outstanding organizational and time-management skills allow me to complete overlapping high priority projects with tight deadlines on schedule and on budget.
Since 2002, I’ve worked with not-for-profit organizations. This experience has taught me how to do more with less without sacrificing quality. It has also allowed me to work with subject matter experts. I’ve learned a lot from Indigenous health professionals, psychiatrists, obstetricians and gynecologists, radiologists, nurses, medical specialists and residents.
As a Language Portal of Canada Ambassador, I help promote trusted and high-quality language resources, as well as provide readers with access to official languages resources. As a volunteer, I promote the portal’s tools and services to the people in my networks. I have even written a post for the Our Languages blog.
I’m a member of many social media groups for editors. These not only provide great networking opportunities and professional support, but these also provide platforms to learn from others and to share my knowledge with them.
I have a three-year Journalism diploma and a five-course Social Media certificate. I believe in lifelong learning and regularly take workshops, seminars and webinars to keep up with the fast pace of change. Here’s a list of some of the professional development I’ve done.
- Conflict Resolution
- Copy Editing I: Introduction to Copy Editing
- Copy Editing II: Judgment Calls and Added Value
- Doin’ it Right: Correct Grammar and Punctuation
- Editing Skills for the Workplace
- Eight-Step Editing: Finding and Fixing Common Readability Programs
- Electronic Editing: How to Capitalize on Microsoft Word to Simplify Editing and Writing
- Five Steps to Plain Language Success
- Grammar Boot Camp
- Grammar: It’s More Than a Gut Feel
- Hootsuite Platform Certification
- How to Evolve Your Writing from Print to Online
- How to Use Social Media at Every Stage of the [marketing] Funnel
- Increase Efficiency with Microsoft Word
- Let the Fire Burn Brightly: Wordiness Be Gone!
- Managing People for Superior Results: The Fundamentals of Supervision
- Photoshop Tips and Tricks
- Plain Language: Five Steps to Success
- Practical Proofreading
- Preparing to Offer Plain Language Services
- Secrets of Syntax
- The Sweet Spot: Editing Infographics
- Web Writing for the Government of Canada
- WordPress 5 Essential Training
- Working Sm@rt with Outlook
- Writing and Editing for the Web
I also enjoy sharing what I have learned with others, so they can learn from my experience. This includes giving a webinar on social media marketing with a colleague.
If you want to find out more about my experience, check out my LinkedIn page.
Email me, so we can talk about how my unique combination of skills can help you achieve your goals.